6 Common Problems of PC Random RestartsPC Problems
An unasked reboot, without any prior alert or warning, indicates the insolence of a system. This act of machine would be depreciated by any computer operative. The increasing frequency of such movement is definitely pointing towards something unpleasant, and trying to grab your attention. So be attentive and investigate the cause behind it.
Ahead of moving on to the proposed solution, it's preferable to first examine your PC by Scanning and Fixing any unseen errors found which possibly is inducing your headache:
- Step 1 : Download Systimizer ‒ One Click Error Fixer (Intel Premier Partner ‒ Effective with Windows 10, 8, 7 & XP).
- Step 2 : Click "Scan" to analyze your PC.
- Step 3 : Click "Fix" to wipe out all bumps.
There are multiple possible reasons, which can direct towards this breakdown. These reasons are described in detail, subsequently. Relate your state of condition with each one of them, and you will be able to identify the actual syndrome.
Hardware Device Issues
The strange collapse of a computer system is usually a result of hardware failure. When an active device under the use of certain operations, fails to respond abruptly; system becomes unable to stand upright and restarts the session spontaneously. At this situation, you are required to inspect the virtual and physical settings of your hardware devices, and make sure these are set up appropriately. For a physical check;
- Unplug your hardware devices and cards from the motherboard
- Plug these devices back in, trying on with different slots
Once the devices are reassembled properly, turn on your system and try out following steps to reassure their configurations.
- Right click your Computer icon and go to its Properties
- Click to select Device Manager from left panel to open its concerned window, listing all devices
- Devices tagged with a yellow symbol are meant to be out of order, and need configuration
- Right click these tagged devices and choose Update Driver Software
- Choose to let windows search online for updated driver
The problems occurred within the Windows operating system, are listed under this context. Although, Windows tries to rectify the errors by itself no matter how complicated these are, there are still some matters non-detectable by it. Windows also has ability to note down the type and nature of errors in its event log, from where you can note it down and research for the possible resolutions.
- Go to Start menu Search, type ‘event viewer’ and hit Enter key to open the Event Viewer window
- In the Actions panel on the right, click Create Custom View
- On the Filter tab, choose Logged time, Event level, Event logs, and click OK to create
- On same Actions panel, go to the bottom and click Event Properties, followed by Copy button
- Open a New Notepad file, paste the information, and Save the file
- Keep this file for an expert review or post it on the relevant discussion forums.
However, it is possible for the issue not being listed in this log. You can use System File Checker to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows.
- Open Start menu search and type ‘Command Prompt’ to view search results
- In the search results, right click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator
- In the black screen of command prompt, type SFC /SCANNOW and hit Enter key to start scan.
Please note, not to close the command prompt until the scan is completed. Windows will automatically remediate the errors detected, and show the results on completion.
Some programs, prior to their release, are capable of generating errors due to concealed bugs. These bugs are subjected to be treated by the developer in a released version. Apart from pre-released programs, games can also cause these errors to occur. While playing games, computers have to maintain a quick response attitude. Customarily overclocked CPU/GPU may result in heating up the system, which subsequently forces a system interruption. It can be resolved by reducing the value of clocks per second or setting to a default clock frequency. In order to identify the program that is causing trouble, you shall boot into the Safe mode through following procedure.
- Restart your computer and keep pressing F8 key until Advance Boot options are displayed
- In Advanced Boot options, choose to boot with least services via Safe mode
- In the Safe mode, system will start up with the least resources consumed
- Now try to launch your programs in intervals
- Notice the program that causes a restart
- Now again boot into the Safe mode so that the program could not load automatically
- Go to Control Panel, and then select Uninstall a program under Programs category
- In the programs list, right click the mischief application and choose to Uninstall
- Restart your computer to boot in the Normal mode
If you are still experiencing an instinctive reboot, make arrangements for the system to avoid restarting automatically and report an error.
- Right click your Computer icon and go to its Properties
- Click to select Advanced system settings from left panel to open System Properties window
- Go to Advanced tab, and click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery
- Click to uncheck the box stating Automatically restart, beneath System failure options
- Click OK to save your settings and Exit
Note down the error displayed on BSOD and research it for resolution. Some of these noted errors are expected to be registry related. A system’s activity directed towards Windows registry may bump into an invalid or corrupt registry entry, causing a computer to crash. In such a consequence, scan and repair your registry using a reliable registry cleaner such as Registry Recycler. This software will repair the broken links and enhance the performance of your system for free.
Primary Memory (RAM) is an active component of a computer, which frequently writes and rubs the data for an impulsive response. A failure in your RAM would definitely result in disintegration of your system. As a result of which, the system will be forced to suspend the session and blackout without even changing the desktop theme. At the first place, be directed to reseat the RAM by plugging it in to another empty slot. Further memory issues can be analyzed through Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, via following means.
- Open Start menu search and type windows memory diagnostic, and hit Enter key
- A Windows Memory Diagnostic (WMD) screen would appear, stating a couple of options.
- Examine your computer for memory problems, by Restarting immediately or on Next restart
- On a restart, WMD will carry out a scan, aiming to detect and resolve memory issues.
A rapid growth of facilitation through internet is recorded in the past few years. At the same time, surged threat in the open network is also at its peak. Regardless of proficient and competent digital security solutions, malwares are intended to find a loophole and intrude into a system. Those who manage to do so are definitely capable to cause some serious damage. When your system observes interference at a sensitive point of area, it sometimes seizes, without even a prior notification. If you consider your case to be a malware issue,
- Reboot your system in to the Safe mode, so that the malware/virus could not load.
- Run a complete virus scan with reliable antivirus program
- Delete/Repair the detected threats from your system
- Restart your computer in a normal mode and escalate the restriction level of your antivirus
You can also create and use a Bootable Rescue disk for this purpose. Via this method, you will boot your PC with a Bootable Rescue Drive and cleanup the infections.
- Update your antivirus solution with the latest virus definitions
- Create a Bootable Rescue Drive using one of the trustworthy antivirus applications
- Turn Off and Back On your computer to boot from Bootable Rescue Drive
- Scan and Remove the threats using antivirus application on Rescue Drive
- Once the infection is discarded, restart your PC to boot in Normal mode
It should not be neglected, that a prompt restart without closing the processes can also be resulted from a power disruption. It is just like sucking blood out of a human’s body. Review your power supply route and identify if there is a possibility of power cut. Such power disruption do not only restarts your computer, but also damages other components of your computer. If this is your case, be hurried and find a quick solution to it. To diagnose a power issue behind your random restart, comply with the following.
- Replace the power cables and observe if the problem still persists
- Replace the power supply unit and observe if the problem still persists
- Examine your motherboard for any broken power connector and replace it
- Spot the instable peripheral power source
In the last case, integrate your system with a UPS or other instant power backup. It is most probable that you would have mended your system against the subject issue, and reinstated an uninterrupted functioning.